Nov 10, 2012

Ed Sullivan? Why, he's my favorite human being!

Movie: Bye Bye Birdie
Year: 1963
Plot: It's an extremely silly musical about Kim MacAfee, a girl who just got pinned by Hugo Peabody. She's also a huge fan of Conrad Birdie- who is based off of Elvis Presley (music/looks wise that is). Birdie is drafted into the army, but before he goes he is going to kiss one lucky girl from the Conrad Birdie fan base in Ohio. Kim is chosen to be the girl who gets kissed by him on the Ed Sullivan show. Of course, Hugo gets peeved and tries to convince her not to do it, but Kim is a woman now (at least she thinks she is) and she can do what she wants. The whole cast is absolutely amazing and includes Ed Sullivan, Dick Van Dyke, Janet Leigh, Ann-Margret, Paul Lynde, and Bobby Rydell. All of the songs are really fun and catchy and get stuck in your head for what feels like an eternity.
Favorite character: Hugo Peabody
Favorite part: Right after Rosie and Albert fall into the wagon and the turtle comes out of the bushes, or when Mr. MacAfee realizes Kim is going to be on the Ed Sullivan Show and he says, "Ed Sullivan? Why, he's my favorite human being!" and then it goes into a musical number about Ed Sullivan.
Favorite song: Telephone Hour
Pros: It's great for all ages, the costumes are perfect, the script was cleverly written, and it makes me want a pet turtle.
Cons: Ann-Margret's singing at the beginning and end. Don't get me wrong I love her singing voice normally, but this is bad.
Rank: 10 out of 10. It's really one of my favorite movies- ever.
Okie dokie, that wraps this review up. Please feel welcome to put a comment below to tell me: what you like, what you didn't like, what you want to see, or anything else.

1 comment:

  1. OH GOD! I love Bye Bye Birdie! It is actually one of my favoritest movies EVER. I have the record and a poster of it, and it's just so awesomely costumed and catchy and rad. BYE BYE BIRDIE 4 LYFE <3

    P.S. I loved your review, you should do more of them! I'd also love to see some more DIYs and OOTDs :)

    http://psychedelicdaisy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

♡All comments are read & loved. Thank you so much for dropping by!♡